Summer season means warm weather and long days. During this season, every homeowner like to engage in home improvement. Because you have more time for handiwork in summer days. As spring is the best time for gardening, summer is good to take care of your house and garage door problems. When you make a list of home improvements, give a first priority to your garage door.
Torsion spring, broken cable, damaged panels and misaligned sensor are some common problems of garage door. Maintaining your garage door is a very important task to extend its lifespan and increase reliability. Some do it yourself tasks are easy to handle, but for the major problems you need a certified technician. You can contact a garage door repair contractor in Toronto to inspect the door.
Below are some essential tips. Follow them to keep your garage door functioning properly from this summer season to the next.
1. Visually inspect Hardware: A single garage door contains so many hardware such as hinges, shaft, bearings, steel rollers and others. Look for them very carefully and if found any bent or loose hardware, tighten it with a wrench or proper tool. If you have ten years old garage door, make sure it works properly. Means it has all the hardware and all of them are on their position and work properly.
2. Wash the Door: To remove all the dirt and stains of grease, wash the garage door with lukewarm water and mild household detergent. Once you have washed the door, it removes the dust from the track. Don’t forget about windows. These are also part of your door. Wash them also.
3. Clean and lubricate Hardware: Lubricate hardware is one of the easiest tasks to operate the door smoothly. Take a clean rag and remove grease and debris from the track. After cleaning, lubricate all the moving parts including track, hinges, bearings and rollers. If you have plastic idler bearings and nylon rollers, don’t lubricate them.
4. Remove Rust from the Door: If you have a steel garage door, look for the sign of rust. Use sand to remove rust from the door. After removing it, you can paint your door and give a new look to it. Never use poor quality paint, for the steel garage door, always use exterior latex paint.
5. Testing Your Garage Door: Testing your garage door is one of the simplest tasks that you can do any time over the year. Open and close the door at least two or three times to ensure that it is in proper working condition. If you hear any strange noise while you open and close it, call a professional to inspect the problem.
Here you have some simple ways to tune up your garage door in summer season. If you adopt these tips, you can provide a new look to your door. If you need a garage door repair service in Toronto and surrounding areas, we, Hall Garage Doors, are ready to respond you.